Pages

Saturday 18 July 2015

International Anna Party!!

I am sure the International Anna Party needs no introduction after flooding Instagram over the past 24 hours but just in case you haven't heard of it, it is the brain child of Elle AKA Laura Loves Pugs and she talks about much better than I ever could on her blog.  Suffice it to say I love a good party and I had been planning on making another Anna ever since I fiddled with the pattern last July so I cut it out on Tuesday and finished it today!  I don't know if it is the end of term or just that life is busy at the moment but I seem to be having less and less time for sewing these days and my sewing time tends to be snatched moments here and there.



As it has been a whole year since I made the alterations to the pattern I had to check back on here to see what I had done - and now I realise the absolute usefulness of having a blog!  Apparently I took a wedge out of the front and back necklines and lengthened the bust bit.  Whatever I did, I am really happy with the fit of this dress now and would like to make a few more but realistically it will probably be another year before I get round to it!  I would like some in a slightly heavier fabric, perhaps even a sateen, that could see me through to autumn.


For the skirt I used the Lilou dress pattern from Tilly and the Buttons Love at First Stitch as I love my skirt version of this so much.  I really think it works with this bodice, it feels so twirly and also slightly dangerous in a breeze!  The only changes I had to make were to shuffle the pleats slightly so they lined up with the pleats in the bodice.  This worked, up to a point.  I forgot to take into account the side seams so while my pleats just about match up, the side seam don't.  In all honesty though I am going to think anyone who comes up and starts checking out my side seams a bit strange (or a sewist!) so I'm not really that bothered.  And maybe I'll just finally get around to buying a belt!



When I made my first Anna last June I finished the whole thing beautifully with french seams everywhere.  This time though I just wasn't in the mood and needed to get it done quickly so all seams have been finished on the overlocker.  I know which finish I prefer (french seams, obvs!) but the overlocker is so much quicker and with limited time I just wanted to get it done.  I also hemmed it on the machine which I am slightly disappointed about so may unpick and and sew it when I have more time.  I was thinking of wearing this dress to a wedding next weekend but now I just don't feel its special enough which is a bit daft as from the outside it still looks the same!


The fabric came from Ebay (still for sale at £3.99 a metre!!) although I have seen it in quite a few different places this year, including Walthamstow at a lower price when we went there a few weeks ago.  I had wanted to make an Anna out of my Nani Iro I bought a few weeks ago (also yellow!) but unfortunately I only bought 1.5m which is nowhere near enough.


Aside from my laziness in the finish of this dress, I am really happy with how it turned out.  I love the colour (even though its a bit difficult to photograph!) and the elephants make me smile!



7 comments:

  1. Such a delightfully sunny dress - perfect for this lovely weather we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress! Looks so fun and summery to wear :)

    Haha I've had to go back and refer to my blog a few times when remaking patterns - so extremely useful! (And I find it's also a good reminder of why I blog in the first place, which can be nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is lovely, I like how you only realise the elephants are there when you get close up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and it looks really sweet with the Lilou skirt! You need to find time to make an Anna for every day of the week, because this is 'your' dress for sure xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pattern suits you so much, you should make more!
    I have gone back to one of my old blog posts to check out details before now, and isn't it so useful?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty, I love using the Lilou skirt too, such flattering pleats :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely dress - makes me want to twirl, just seeing it. Lovely fit and very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete