After having said in my last post that I have been doing a lot of sewing lately, I have practically ground to a halt! This post was going to be a roundup of my sewing during Kids Clothes Week which was 22nd to 28th June but in the end I didn't even complete the week. I started badly not managing to do anything on the first day because we took the Guides to the beach (I am a Guide Leader) and I was exhausted after! I peaked in the middle of the week and made a t-shirt for a friend's daughter followed by 8 pairs of pants for mine but then the only thing I managed at the end of the week was to trace the Lotta dress pattern. So not a complete failure I suppose but I definitely didn't manage an hour a day, although I probably did manage 7 hours over the course of the week. It was a good experiment but on reflection I don't think I perform well under pressure so would probably prefer to just bimble along at my own pace in the future!
On a positive note, I finished the Lotta dress last week! This is the second pattern I have sewn from Compagnie M. (the first being the Mara Blouse) but the first following the instructions and pattern to the letter. I made the size 5 for my 5 year old and the fit is good, while also being roomy enough in the bodice to last her another summer I hope. I could have taken in the waist seam a tiny bit for a closer fit but I didn't want a very structured dress, if I was making a smarter one I might do that next time - there are instructions included for how to do this which I thought was a nice touch. The general instructions were clear and straight forward and all the pattern pieces went together nicely, so big win all round!
I love that with the Compagnie M. patterns the sleeves are interchangeable so the long sleeves from the Mara Blouse and Lotta dress can be used with this bodice. There are also three pocket options included and three back closure options. So a very versatile set of patterns to own. I can see me making many versions of this over the next few years!
On this dress I went with the cap sleeves and button back opening (purely because I didn't have a zip the right colour or length!). The bodice is fully lined enclosing all the seams and the raw edges of the cap sleeves and neck and making for a really neat finish.
The fabric I used came from The Village Haberdashery about two years ago. It is called Posy by Aneela Hooey and when I bought it I thought it was perfect for my little girl. However, I couldn't seem to find the right pattern for it and it kept getting put back in my stash. I think it really works with this dress, but I think a lot of fabrics would work with this dress! The lining is also from The Village Haberdashery and is a Kona Cotton Solid in Seafoam. I actually bought it for another project but it goes quite nicely with this fabric. The buttons are from a button tin that belonged to a friend's Grandmother and Great Aunt - it is full of vintage treasures and has been really useful!
I had just enough fabric left for a little dress for Edwina the Bear. I made it by tracing around her body, adding seam allowances and making a lined bodice to which I added a rectangle skirt and an exposed zip at the back. Edwina now has a pretty impressive wardrobe of her own, one to rival any bear!