Pages

Sunday 12 October 2014

Delphine Skirt

So I am working my way through Tilly and the Buttons' Love at First Stitch.  Not intentionally but I have so far made the Clémence Skirt and Mimi Blouse, then I remade the Clémence Skirt into the Megan Dress and now I have made the Delphine Skirt to add to my collection!  I should have sewn the entire book by Christmas (joking.  Sort of.).


The skirt is a lovely, a-line shape with a waistband and invisible zip at the back.  Although, as I was so desperate to finish the skirt and just use what I had in, my invisible zip is a bit more visible than planned but I kind of like the contrast (sorry, the only picture I have of it is pretty bad).



I decided to line the skirt so it won't stick to my tights in the winter and used something that looks like crepe back satin that has been sitting in my sewing room for forever.  I don't even remember buying it but it does the job remarkably well!  I also added pockets to the front piece because pockets are always useful (mine have been full of conkers recently from the walk home from school, I find them everywhere!).


The fabric for this skirt came from Amanda as part of Marilla's hand printed fabric swap which was so much fun to take part in, even though I do feel Amanda drew the short straw with my child like printed fish!  I love the colour of this fabric although I do not, at present, have a lot that coordinates with it.  I do have a couple of projects in mind though which will rectify that (already planned before the fabric arrived!).  It's like Amanda read my sewing/knitting plans for the next few months.




The skirt came together really easily and quickly.  I made a straight size 4 and it fits perfectly, which is lucky because I didn't bother making a trial version.  I love the length of it and having initially thought this wasn't really my sort of skirt I can see myself making another couple this winter.  I would like a denim one with big patch pockets on and a corduroy version.


The London photos in this post were taken by my lovely cousin and her boyfriend when we went to see their new flat last weekend.  We had such a good time, and ended it with a visit to the Fashion and Textile Museum in Bermondsey. The Chanel to Westwood knitwear exhibition was really fascinating but unfortunately no photos were allowed.  There were some really lovely 50's style cocktail jumpers and the most amazing Fairisle I have ever seen.   I would definitely love to go back for another visit before it ends in January.

I'll leave you with some outtakes from when I asked the Husband to take some photos.  I think I'm best finding someone else in future!!


6 comments:

  1. Husbands truly are the worst photographers! Although saying that, you still look amazing! Definitely make more of these xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! To be fair, we were in a rush to go out!

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely- so pleased you were able to make such a great skirt out of the fabric and that you have ideas to coordinate with it! I love my fish fabric and have now narrowed down two patterns to use for it so hopefully I'll be able send you a picture soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, and it works perfectly as a skirt. Everyone who I have told the fabric is hand printed is absolutely amazed because it looks amazing! I am really excited to see what you make but it is quite summery fabric so I wouldn't blame you if it got shelved until the nice weather returns!

      Delete
  3. I've decided I'm going to make either a belcarra or maya top with the fabric you printed for me and it is on my list to get to it soon, I was just scared to cut into it without having had a practice run first as love the fabric and didnt want to ruin it!! So pleased you've had positive comments on the print I did. Im definitely inspired to print some more .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either of those sound lovely! I did keep a bit of fabric that I printed too and I'm planning on making a Clemence skirt from LAFS, but not until next spring.

      Delete