Pages

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Ultimate Trousers!

I decided back in the summer that one of the things I want to make this year is jeans or trousers.  I prefer to wear skirts as a rule but I have two pairs of jeans which I wear to work when it's really cold as I walk to work and work in a freezing warehouse!  My issue with jeans is that I haven't found a style yet that I don't need to keep hitching up or that is the right length.  So it would make sense to make a pair but I couldn't find the perfect pattern (I see that the perfect pattern has just been released!) and I am a lot daunted with the though of making jeans.  Just so much stitching and pockets and zips!  However, I have really been loving seeing lots of Ultimate Trousers from Sew Over It popping up around the blogosphere so I thought I would dip my toe in the trouser sewing waters with these.


I actually made a muslin to check the fit on these trousers which I rarely do.  The fit was fine, although possibly a bit tight around the derriere (!) so while I was intending my first pair of Ultimate Trousers to be denim I changed tack and used a stretch fabric instead.  When I make a non-stretch pair of these I think it will be enough to just narrow the seam allowances slightly around the hip area.


I also added a waistband as I wanted the trousers to come up over my hips for a bit of extra coverage!  I had read Kathryn's post (Yes I like that) on how she did this but laziness overcame me and I fudged it by using the facing pieces but turning them upside down so the narrow bit was at the top.  It does work,which is the main thing, but there was probably a better way of doing this.


For the inner waistband I decided to use my favourite ever fabric which is Tom's Jets from Liberty because the yellow aeroplanes match the fabric perfectly.  I keep hunting for more of this but haven't had any luck.  As usual, because I was using a really special piece of fabric I messed up the cutting out and managed to get my planes flying upside down!  I know no-one else is going to be looking at the inside of my trousers but I was very irritated with myself when I realised!


The fabric I used is a stretch twill type from Croft Mill.  It is described as lycra chino trousering and while I don't have a whole lot of experience with chino it is thicker than I would have thought, which is perfect for these trousers.  The surface is also slightly brushed so they are incredibly soft.  It was a delight to sew with and has a good amount of stretch, without being too much.  Just perfect really.  If I didn't already have a mustard skirt I would buy some more to make one with.  In fact I might still do that!!

These trousers are so seriously comfortable.  I finished them on Saturday and then spent all day Sunday and Monday wearing them, including visiting Legoland.  I really love them.  I will definitely be making more of these in the future.  Next up on my sewing list though is some finishing off (mainly my ongoing quilt) before getting started on Christmas makes for my daughter and niece.  It feels too early to be worrying about Christmas but if I don't start soon I will run out of time.  I am going to get all the present sewing done first so I can reward myself with a new dress if I have enough time.  I will leave you with an outtake from the photo session displaying my "just hurry up and take the bloody photo" face:





20 comments:

  1. love your pants. You look good in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The whole outfit looks amazing and looks great with the new hair!! Plus I like the fact your outfit matches your blog header :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! I am definitely not imaginative when it comes to my colour combinations!

      Delete
  3. Love your outfit! You got a great fit with the pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's a great pattern and needed no adjustments!

      Delete
  4. Love the colour and you've got the fit spot on, think I'll have to bump the ultimate trousers up my sewing list. You look fabulous in the pictures, the new do really suits you! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, the pattern is wonderful and I'm sure you will love it!

      Delete
  5. Love these and I love your new hair! You have a bit of a Hollywood starlet look about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I'm still getting used to it but its a lot more economical on shampoo and conditioner!!

      Delete
  6. Ooh they're lovely, the colour's great too, you look fab! I'm definitely going to add a waistband to my next pair, may even try your facing trick! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jane! I do like to make sure I don't get a draught around the kidneys!!

      Delete
  7. Those are great trousers! No hitching them up all day? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trousers look great.I love the idea of mustard trousers. I like the added waistband and the lining fabric. I think Legoland is a pretty thorough test of me-mades. You did make me smile with the reference to hitching up jeans.I have to do that and it drives me mad.:) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Legoland was so much fun, and a very good test of the trousers!

      Delete
  9. Obvs I'm digging these trousers hard, BUT THEN I JUST NOTICED YOUR HAIR CUT!!!!!! I looks gorge!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable, these trousers (& you know I am a fan) The fabric looks perfect, & I love the colour with the fabric youve matched them with. As a first pair too? You wouldn't know- the fit is pretty good. I am inspired to make another pair....soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were completely inspired by you, so thank you very much! I have another pair in mind but just need to find the right fabric, I would love a wool pair. I have some perfect fabric in my cupboard but only have 1 metre, boo!

      Delete