Pages

Monday 6 October 2014

Marilla Walker's Maya Pattern!!

In the summer Marilla very kindly asked if I would test her brand new pattern (the Maya Dress) and I jumped at the chance!  The only issue was I was just about to go and spend a week with my parents in Switzerland so I made sure my Mum's sewing machine was all ready to go, packed a suitcase full of fabric and the pattern and off I went.  (I apologise for the terrible photos - they were the best of a bad lot and all taken on my phone!)



I decided to make the top length as that is what fitted on the fabric I took with me but I would have liked to make the dress length, which I will do one day very soon, possibly in denim or maybe corduroy.   The fabric I used is a shirting type chambray which I bought a lot of a few years ago.  I have used it on so many projects, mostly for the child, and this was the very last bits of it.  I had some yellow buttons which I wanted to use on it and I used yellow thread to stitch the pocket on, which I am rather proud of!


The construction of the top is very, very pleasing.  The sides are french seamed and the facings are all top stitched down which makes for a very neat finish.  I really dislike facings so I was especially happy with this!



The pattern itself comes with three different length options, a buttoned option or plain front and curved hem or straight so it is a really versatile pattern.  Marilla has made about 10 different versions herself and she has set up a Pinterest board for inspiration.

I am very excited by Marilla's foray into pattern production, and hope there are many more to come.  Good luck!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely post lady! Currently designing an outfit for next pattern. I'll let you see soon (once I know it doesn't look daft). Doesn't look like I'm going to make my millions off this just yet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Maya, especially the contrasting yellow stitching! I made a button down dress (well tunic really as I was short in fabric) and I've worn it so much. Just finished a dress version with a border print which is now my new favourite dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your border print version! I haven't seen the other one though, are you going to put them on your blog?

      Delete
  3. I like this blouse and thank you for introducing me to a new blog - I just fell down the rabbit hole of reading Marilla's past posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - I lost a few hours when I first found her blog!! She is an amazingly talented person!

      Delete