Pages

Thursday 26 November 2015

Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress x 2

I have been trying to write this post for a whole week now but life keeps conspiring against me!  The weather keeps being too rubbish to take photos and now we have no internet at home for a few weeks!  Aaargh!  If I look really tired in these photos it is because I was, I've had a poorly child for the past few days and took the opportunity of a break in vomit watch and a break in the weather to quickly take some photos! (The child is all better now and back at school which means I am back in work and able to use the work internet - yay!).


This dress is the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift dress which I hadn't really given a though to until I bought this fabric whilst out on my recent trip to Goldhawk Road when Marilla suggested it would be a great fit for the fabric.  The fabric is so deliciously soft that I was tempted to make pyjamas from it but I needed a new dress more!  We went out to a dinner thing last weekend and at first I thought I needed a posh frock but when I actually read the dress code and realised it was smart/casual I decided to make this.  Which was a bit of a shame because I had some plans with some silk and a gold skirt.  Oh well, there'll be a next time!


I started this dress on the Thursday night, hand sewed the hems on the Friday night then wore it out on the Saturday night - perfect! 


I was a bit unsure what size to make as going by the pattern measurements I should have made a size 12 but I have put on a few pounds recently so decided to err on the side of caution and make the 14.  The fit is fine so I am happy with my decision and the only change I made to the pattern was to lower the bust darts by 3cm which I have to do to most patterns. I also decided to line the body of the  dress to give the fabric a bit more substance.  I finished the back with a button and loop rather than a hook and eye, thinking it would be easier for me to do up myself as I do find hook and eyes so fiddly.  

I am so happy with my new dress and had a fab time at the dinner thing. I am so pleased I made a new dress for it, it gave me a bit of a confidence boost and helped me enjoy the evening so much more because I wasn't worrying about what I was wearing.  


Because I loved the pattern so much I went straight on to make a jersey version in some fab stripy ponte roma that I picked up on the same shopping trip.  I felt like I bought a lot of fabric that day but actually I have used most of it already so my guilty feelings are lessening somewhat!


For this version, I cut the back on the fold, kept the rest of the dress as it was and added bands at the neck and cuffs - with anchors on!  This dress is the bees knees.  It is definitely a pyjama dress and I love it!  Since I finished it (last Tuesday) I have worn it 5 times, it is sooooo comfy!  

Checking out my stripe matching!

It was also incredibly quick to make since the majority of it was made on the overlocker.  I think I made it in 2 hours, which is quick by my standards.  I do spend an awful lot of time staring at the television when I'm supposed to be sewing!  


As I actually finished my dress in time I rewarded myself by sewing up some lovely lounge wear, none of which deserve a whole post of their own.  I made a pair of peach hudsons, a banana Lark Tee and a Linden with a gold glitter stag's head!!  Words cannot describe how much I love this jumper and I will not actually be wearing this as lounge wear until after the festive period (after spilling red wine down the front on its first outing!).   The morning after I finished it I realised that the quality of ribbing I used just wasn't up to scratch so I made the decision to unpick it and replace it with some gorgeous red and white striped ribbing I bought from KitschyCoo.  It's true love and I will be wearing this to every festive event I have to go to this Christmas, starting with a Guide party on Monday night!


7 comments:

  1. Your dresses are lovely especially the floral one, such a gorgeous colour/print. One can never have too many jersey dresses (I should know, having made several). Love your Linden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you do the stag head in glitter? I'm curious! Love your shirt dresses. The jersey one looks so comfy and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, it's an iron-on sheet that I cut out. I bought it off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141739173174?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but there is another webiste I have used in the past too: http://www.hotfix-studio.be/catalogus/Hotfix%20folie/Glitter%20pearl%20folie/p1

      Delete
  3. All gorgeous!! I absolutely love your stag head linden- I still have a stag head cut out of tweed from last year that I was going to add to a jumper and now you've inspired me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see that!! Tweed stags head sounds awesome!

      Delete
  4. You have sewn up a storm! Both those shift dresses look great on you. But I love the idea of a jersey one. Did you size back down for that one? The stag jumper is just genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOh,lovely dresses. They look like some I have seen on Joules website! I am inspired to make my own "pyjama" dress. Nearly finished it now. And I love the Linden with the glittery stag's head. Just so fab xx

    ReplyDelete