Pages

Thursday 5 November 2015

Marilla Walker Roberts Dungadress

I may as well change the name of my blog to "The Marilla Walker Appreciation Page"!  If we weren't friends I think she would suspect me of stalking her.  Ho hum, that's what you get for designing all the things I want to wear right now!


I finished this dress at about 11pm the night before going on a lovely jaunt to London to meet up with Marilla, Jo and Jane where I bought way more fabric than I normally do, and way more than I intended!  Among the bits I bought was a beautiful piece of burgundy coloured corduroy which I am intending to use for some Roberts dungarees, but that may have to wait a while as I have loads to be getting on with at the moment!


For this dress I used the final pattern and not the tester version which I had for my jumpsuit.  I decided to size down for this version for a slightly sleeker silhouette to a size two and am happy with how this turned out.  I like my jumpsuit being a bit roomier but I prefer this fit for a dress.  


The fabric I used this time is a lightweight stretch denim from eBay.  The stretch makes it so comfortable to wear - and explains why I could size down and still get it over my hips!! I could quite happily live in this dress.  In fact I have done for the past week (hence the crumply look) which means I obviously need more.  


I lined the bib and the pockets with scraps of my favourite ever fabric (used previously here).  In fact, I think I need to try wearing this with my Mathilde underneath for a really matchy matchy look - I think it'd be a winner!


For some reason, even though this dress is a relatively quick make, it still took me a week to finish.  Is anyone else finding the weather/clocks changing/general drizzle a bit draining at the moment?  I start sewing something, sit down to think about it and the next thing I know it's bed time!  I've got a dinner thing to go to next weekend and want to make myself a new top to wear and I need to produce a Victorian outfit for the child's school so I really need to crack on with things but I'm struggling to stay motivated.  I think I'm going to try a reward chart - if it works for toddlers it might just work for me!!


17 comments:

  1. This looks great. I know how comfy this feels as I just made mine last week. If there was a Marilla Walker Appreciation club, I'm sure you'd be the president of it! She is quite brilliant.

    The time change does me in too and our cats don't like why feeding time is an hour later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely Jenna.
    Love your favourite colour palette of yellow and blue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It may be getting a bit boring now - although I am just about to make a red dress!

      Delete
  3. This dress is so utility chic and the fit is great. I love its simplicity and versatility. Its a similar style to my Apron dress. I must buy Marilla's pattern soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It is such a versatile pattern, well worth buying!

      Delete
  4. It looks great on you - I think sizing down was a good idea. I love it with the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely denim, nice dark indigo colour. Very nicely put together ensemble ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, it is a lovely colour. Quite a lot of blue in the washing machine after though!

      Delete
  6. The denim looks lovely against the lemony yellow. Great idea about the reward chart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this looks so great! I love the fit! And I like the sound of that stretch denim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh,I like it .The fit looks good on your dress. I am tempted to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should, I can see you wearing this. It's really comfortable too!

      Delete
  9. Marilla sent me the dungaree pattern for Christmas and now, seeing the lovely skirt version on you (as well as Marilla), I feel certain I am going to be buying my denim in the next day or so, to enable me to get to work and enlarge my stock of clothing,once again.............

    ReplyDelete