I have been meaning to make this top for ages and I am so glad I have, I'm in love! It is, of course, the Bronte Top from Jennifer Lauren Vintage which I bought as part of the Perfect Pattern Parcel a while ago.
I opted to go for short sleeves because I do not actually own any short sleeve tops except wovens. It is at times like this I question my wardrobe choices but all of that is for a different post because I am shortly to post about my MMM'15 pledge! I will, however, be making some long sleeved ones for next winter - I do love a long sleeved t-shirt!
I made absolutely no changes to the pattern and I love the fit as it is. It feels very flattering and, like the Bonnie Sweater, the shoulders fit exactly how I would want them to. The only slight deliberation I had was sewing down the envelope neck and worrying about how it should sit. Once I stopped worrying and actually sewed it how it looked best once it was on all problems were removed. This is excellent news for those of us who may be less than symmetrical. When I had finished making this I realised that both shoulders are sewn at different points but when on, it looks right. I used three anchor buttons on each side which I just happened to have lurking in my button tin. They are pretty useless as functional buttons so perfect for a decorative finish like this.
I loved this top and making it so much that I went on to make another two. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get proper photos of these yet but I am sure they will get an outing during MMM'15! The first was made using some unspeakably awesome puffin jersey from KitschyCoo which appears to be out of stock now. It is especially apt as the Child and I are reading Polly and the Puffin at the moment! I bound the neck in Art Gallery Knits in Sahara from The Village Haberdashery, mainly bought because it would coordinate with my next version which is made using a Petal and Plume knit (also from The Village Haberdashery) which unfortunately also appears to be out of stock! Both knits are lovely quality, the puffins being ever so slightly firmer. All three tops are so nice to wear and will be in heavy rotation this spring/summer.
While I was cutting out my first Bronte top, Amanda at KitschyCoo released her Barrie Boy Cut Briefs pattern which I snapped up immediately. I thought I would love this shape of pant as I love the junior version so much on the Child and I am a fan of big pants anyway! So while I had the stripy jersey and red jersey out I thought I might as well make a matching top/pant combo which is definitely the way forward! If I'd had the time I would have done this for the puffin and feather knits too!
The fits of these pants is almost perfect on me - I seem to need a bit more rise around the back where my back dips in and it gapes a bit but otherwise I am happy! With this and Zoe's knicker pattern I feel I am set for life now! I have plans to make a bikini using the Watson Bra for the top and these for the bottoms. I have the fabric and most of the notions ready and waiting, now all I need is time and inclination!