Pages

Thursday 19 February 2015

Sewing Underthings

I said in my last post that I had been busy making underthings, and I have!  In three evenings and a bit of one afternoon I have made 5 vests for the child, a pair of pants for the child and 7 pairs of pants for me!  Not bad going!  She just asked me if I would ever buy underwear again and I honestly don't know the answer at the moment.  I think while I am able and can make the time I will make my own.  This actually feels fantastic as just over a year ago I was having a mini sewing crisis, the kind where you think nothing you make is any good and there is no point,  whereas yesterday I was wearing 95% homemade (still not ventured into bra making!).


So, pants first!  The pattern is from the very talented Zoe and, as with the Dolores Batwing pattern, I found the PDF very easy to put together with minimal pages.  She also has a vest pattern too and although I have downloaded, printed and stuck this together I was not as in dire need of vests as pants so this can wait until my next foray into underthings.  


I made a trial pair (above) to check the fit and make sure I knew what I was doing, and they fit perfectly!  The elastic is a little (lot!) wonky in places but in all honesty there are not going to be many people looking at my pants, unless I get hit by a bus, so I am not bothered at all.  


For my second pair I tried using bands instead of elastic as I was convinced this would be much quicker and, for me, neater.  The bands I used are too narrow and have a tendency to flip inwards.  Topstitching will fix this when I can be bothered to have the right colour thread in my machine at the right time.  I tried with thicker bands but I am just not happy with the fit or look so I went back to elastic.  Looking back through these pictures makes me want to revisit the narrow bands because they do look neat.


Rather predictably I found that the more I practiced with the elastic, the neater and quicker I got.  They are still not perfect but good enough for me! They are very comfortable.  For time spent making vs. time spent wearing I think these are going to be winners.  I will be adding more homemade pants to my wardrobe but I'm hoping now I've made a few pairs I can just add to them slowly, maybe one pair a month.  Definitely having pants with angry zebras or rainbows on makes me very happy!!  


Next up was vests for the Child.  She is on the cusp of growing out of the vests I bought her two years ago, and they are looking a bit grey around the edges, so it was high time she had new ones.  When she was little all her vests etc. were second hand however second hand vests at this age are generally very worn so don't get passed on.  


I didn't want to buy vests when I am more than capable of making them so I simply traced around one of her existing vests and added length.  She is slim for her age so hasn't grown out of them widthways yet.  The first vest I made as a trial to check the fit then I went ahead and cut out another four.


Ideally I would make all her vests out of old tshirts of mine but I generally wear things to death so only one of these is made out of recycled fabric (a top I grew out of!), something I would like to rectify next time I sew a batch.  I need to start looking in charity shops more with this kind of thing in mind.  For the rest I used some medium weight cream jersey I found on a recent shopping trip to Goldhawk Road.


Out of 1.5m I got four vests, a long sleeved top to wear under her dungalottes and a pair of KitschyCoo's Boy Cut Briefs.  If you ever need to make underwear for children this is definitely the pattern to go for.  These get picked over shop bought pants every day and I have been asked to keep making them so we don't have to buy pants ever, ever, ever!  I don't know how long I can keep my little in homemade stuff before she decides she wants to dress like her friends, but for as long as she asks for me to make stuff, I'll make it!  I just need a tights pattern for children and then everything will be homemade!


13 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your pants! I've clearly been doing it wrong with the florals, what I really need are rainbow knickers!! I would smile all day if I knew I were wearing those! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rainbow knickers are the highlight of my knicker drawer now! That and angry zebras makes me very happy, although I would love some Liberty knickers too! Maybe I'll do wovens for my next batch.

      Delete
  2. Wow I definitely want a pair of rainbow pants too- at least if an unfortunate gust of wind blows your skirt up in the air when walking a cross a car park (happened to me not too long ago...) you'll be quite proud to show them off!! You've certainly been busy lately- you have one very lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, that's happened to me too on more than one occasion! Now I'm just worried I'll have one too many on a night out and start showing them off to everyone!

      Delete
    2. it could all spiral out of control and in no time at all everyone will be asking to see your pants everytime you walk into the pub :) !!

      Delete
  3. Wow all these males are gorgeous!! I'll really need to try Zoe's pattern out. I love your wee girls vests too, so cute! How nice or be wearing so much handmade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Zoe's pattern is brilliant, and so comfy!

      Delete
  4. Eeep I really want to try Zos pattern too!! I don't have enough spare knit fabric lying around (yet). I read this post earlier then this showed up on my pinterest!
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/387591111656689309/
    Might be rubbish but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handy pattern, thank you! I will give those a try. I have to confess to buying the rainbow fabric specifically to make rainbow pants! I got one and a half pairs and some offcuts from half a metre if that helps.

      Delete
  5. You have MASSIVELY inspired me to make vests and knickers for Dolores when she's a bit bigger now. Thanks heaps for the link to that kiddie pants pattern, it looks excellent and I'm surprised that they are the first to get worn when not in the wash, they look very comfy and your choice of fabrics is awesome. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, thank you! It is worth it but I do feel like I should set aside a day every now and then so I don't feel like I am spending a whole week just sewing underwear!

      Delete
  6. I'm loving the rainbow and zebra pants. Do you think I could successfully make these on sewing machine? That's what makes me hesitate over making some. The little vests are just fab, lucky little one. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Debbie, yes you could definitely make these on a sewing machine. The only bit I really used my overlocker for was the side seams, all the rest is done on a regular machine anyway.

      Delete