Pages

Saturday 24 January 2015

Stitchcraft January 1961 - Snowflake Sweater


I am just going to start by saying I really love this jumper!  There is always a fear when I knit that I'm going to hate what I make, or it won't fit properly.  I think this comes from the extra time invested in knitting rather than most of the sewing I do and also the inability to fit as you go along and adjust as one can with a sewing machine.  I know these are things I could learn but for me knitting is something I primarily do whilst watching television at the weekend.  It was my first hobby, started when I was 5 and picked up at various times during my life and as such will always be something I turn to, but I don't pretend to understand!


Being a leftie and taught to knit by two righties (my Granny and my Mum), I knit in rather an odd fashion with one needle held up by my leg and because of that I really hate knitting anything in the round.  So what better project than one with a circular yoke!   Because I don't like knitting in the round a lot of modern patterns are out for me (unless I ask my Mum to knit them for me) so I buy a lot of old Stitchcraft Magazines as they are all written to be knitted flat.  My favourites are the 1960s onwards as before that I find the sizing a bit small (unless I choose a plus sized pattern!) and multiple sizing is more common.


This pattern is from the January 1961 edition.  I bought this magazine as part of a bundle off eBay for not very much money at all and it was this pattern that I wanted.  The yoke is actually supposed to be knitted flat and a zip inserted at the back neck, which could have looked quite striking but I felt for comfort I would leave this out and knit the whole yoke in the round and omit the last few rounds of colour work.  My only negative about this jumper (and it is a very small one) is I cast off too tightly and the top of the neck has a tendency to fold inwards.  Since I can't see it this only bothers me when I look in the mirror (seldom, my house is lacking in mirrors) or at photos.


The wool I used is Cascade 220 Superwash from Wool Warehouse.  I used Cascade on my last cardigan and am so pleased with it I used it again.  I didn't do a swatch (never have, naughty!) and it has knitted up perfectly.  I haven't tried washing it yet though so I don't know if the superwash bit holds true!


I have signed up to A Stitching Oddyssey's and Kestral Makes' Vintage Pattern Pledge this year.  I wish I had signed up last year but I didn't have a blog back then so didn't feel it was worth it (so should have anyway!).  This is my pledge:

I, Jenna of justsewjenna, pledge to sew 3 items from my vintage patterns and knit 2 in 2015. Excited!!
So although I started this in 2014 I am counting this towards one of my 2 knits I have pledged to make.  I am so excited about this challenge, as I am sure a lot of people are.  I have a serious vintage pattern habit because I love the artwork but end up buying newer patterns so hopefully this will nudge me into getting my vintage patterns out of storage and actually using them!


I am so pleased with this jumper.  Having fallen out of love with knitting due to a few failures in a row, I am now very much back in love with it.  I have started another jumper for me so I can take part in the Instagram #sundaysweaterkal and am halfway up the back so I hope to have that finished before spring appears!




19 comments:

  1. love it and these photos look like they are for a knitting magazine!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Photos courtesy of ex-photographer father-in-law - I'll tell him what you said!! xx

      Delete
  2. i love how trendy this still is. lovely choices of colours too. well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I think the colour choices were influence by Christmas! I started this in mid-December.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! Marilla's right about the photos too, they do look like they could be in a magazine. Good luck with your vintage pledge. Weren't the things people made last year amazing!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were! I really should have entered last year, I did sew a couple of vintage patterns and really could have done more had I an incentive. Oh well, will do better this year!

      Delete
  4. Great job! It's very beautiful and cheerful. It looks comfortable, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is, I have worn it almost every day since finishing it!

      Delete
  5. Just stumbled upon your blog and I can't believe your sweater!! I am in love, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love it. The red colour really suits you. I struggle with knitting in the round, I was taught flat knit and seams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! I don't wear much red but maybe I'll start wearing more! I do think that seamed garments have more structure to them. I know the worst thing about knitting is the sewing up afterwards but I prefer the shape.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous sweater and so true to the original. Good job!
    I had to smile regarding your method of holding knitting needles. I find that I rest my right hand needle in the crook of my hip when I work. It helps me! I don't mind circulars so much (but it is so true about everything being written up for them nowadays - frustrating, as I prefer straight needles myself). My only grumble is that I get my cast on twisted when joining in the round and I am generally slower on circulars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy! That's where I prop my needle too! You should take a look at some older knitting patterns, there are some lovely patterns out there that don't seem to age that much (except the 80s, that was a bad time for knitwear!)

      Delete
  8. This is just gorgeous! I was very interested to hear about your knitting method, too. I am right-handed but knit continental, and people always seem surprised!

    By the way,I've done the same pledge as you - sew 3, knit 2. Stitchcraft is such a great source for vintage knitting patterns; I have several from the 40s and am very excited about finally making a piece from one. Nice to see your 60s version turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you, I would like to try the continental method as most of the work seems to be done with the left hand this could be better for me. Perhaps if I had been taught this way things would be different! I'm looking forward to seeing your vintage makes!

      Delete
  9. Awesome sweater! I totally used to knit with a needle propped on my leg too until my mum made me do it the 'right' way. I pretty much have your attitude to patterns though - if it requires too much thought it's no use! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty sure my Mum tried to correct me too but this is the way I find easiest and I've been knitting this way for 30 years now! My Mum told me her great aunts used to knit with their needles tucked under their bosoms!!

      Delete
  10. Very chic. I love it with your cute beret and red lipstick!

    ReplyDelete