There hasn't been a huge amount of activity 'round these parts lately due to one thing an another and I'm not quite sure what, but then I had a few days where I managed to churn out four pieces of clothing! It's taken me a while to photograph them but I finally managed it this morning and, well, here they are!
The photo thing took a bit longer than usual because my husband, who normally takes my photos, has been too busy (how dare he!) so I thought I would try and take my tripod and wander further afield à la Gillian and try to join in with her "Better Pictures Project". However, I think I was having a bad week because in all the photos I took, regardless of location, I looked terrible! I'm not saying that I only want to have the glossy perfect (like that's ever going to happen!) photos on here but there is a line and those photos definitely crossed it. So I tried again this morning and found my favourite place for taking photos is....in front of my garage. The yellow door may have something to do with it!
First up on my epic making week was a Linden. Now I know the whole world and her cat made this pattern like, last year, but I'm slow on the uptake! A couple of weeks ago The Village Haberdashery posted a picture on Instagram of some beautiful Liberty sweat shirting and suggested ribbing to go with it and I think I waited a whole week before ordering. I used my birthday Stash Points to soften the blow a bit and feeling optimistic only ordered 1 metre. I do love a Liberty print and this just spoke to me!
The fabric is lovely and thick with not a lot of stretch in it, unlike the sweat shirting I bought from Kitschycoo earlier this year which I used to make a couple of Bonnies. This time I wanted something looser and the obvious answer was the Linden. As so many people have already said before me this is a very quick and satisfying make. I taped the pattern together and sewed it up all in one evening whilst watching television and I was still in bed by 10pm!
To get the sweatshirt out of 1 metre of fabric means there is a seam down the back which I haven't managed to get a photo of because I totally forgot it was there when I was taking the photos! However I really don't think it detracts from the sweater in any way and at £4.50 per quarter I really wouldn't have been able to afford the extra half metre to prevent it. I love this jumper so much, the colours work really well together and I know this will get a lot of wear when the weather turns a bit cooler. This was definitely a special purchase but I am so happy with how it turned out.
While I was buying the Linden pattern it made sense to put the newest Grainline pattern, the Lark Tee, into my basket at the same time. I actually have a lot of t-shirt type patterns already so probably didn't neeeeed this one but I wanted it! I wanted a less fitted top than the ones I currently have and something that would be perfect for layering under things in the autumn. Also, I had seen Marilla's and loved it! For my first version I used some red and white striped jersey which has been sat in my stash for a while because I don't like the quality of it. It is too lightweight for my liking and was actually not a pleasant make. My sewing machine also took exception to it and ate some of the sleeve hem which is why this one has cuffs! It is also unhemmed and I think it may stay that way!
I was happy with the fit (I think I could probably have sized down but since I was looking for something a bit looser I decided to go with it) so I cut out another one straight away using some beautiful yellow striped jersey which Marilla gave to me a couple of months ago. This has been waiting for the perfect pattern and I think it found it! I had been wondering whether to make a light weight cardi with it, but this is going to get far more use and it's probably the nicest t shirt I've ever owned! It was so nice to sew I even cracked out the twin needle on it which behaved perfectly!
Lastly, I made a new Maya. I have made this pattern twice before, once as a top length and more recently as a dress. I have worn them both a lot but particularly the second one has been washed twice a week since I made it! I really wanted a denimy look one for autumn that could be layered up and it just so happened that my last piece of chambray in my stash was the perfect colour and weight for my vision. I bought a lot of chambray last year just in case world stocks run low (I heard the rumour about Prosecco and have been buying that in bulk too!!) so hopefully the world doesn't run out now I have used all of mine up. Or I just need to buy more!
This version is identical to my last with the exception of the patch pockets on the front rather than a top pocket. Once again I was too lazy to do french seams and everything is overlocked. One of the things I love about this pattern is the facings. As a rule I hate facings because they flap up everywhere and I can never get them to look right but as these are top stitched down they stay in place as they are supposed to and look ever so nice and neat on the inside too.
I am hoping my productive streak carries on now, next on my list is a dress for the Child completely inspired by Zoe's. And then maybe some more clothes for meeeee!