Pages

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Christmas Crafting Part 1 - Pyjamas!

I normally make sure the Child has some new (to her) pyjamas at Christmas time purely so that when we take pictures of her opening her stocking on Christmas morning she isn't in tatty, stained, greyish looking things!  Usually these are second hand purchases off eBay or charity shops however this year, as my niece will be with us, I decided to make matching Christmas pyjamas.



I used the same pattern for the bottoms as I did for my last pair.  There is just one pattern piece and I actually cut these out and sewed the seams at the same time as the others.  I have only overlocked the seams, I don't know if they will last as well as if I had sewed them on a sewing machine first but I was feeling particularly lazy when I did it!  


I put a piece of ribbon in the back waistband of each pair to easily identify the back.  I used a different colour ribbon for my niece and daughter as they are slightly different sizes.   I also top stitched down the middle of the elastic to prevent it from twisting in the wash.


For the tops I completely cheated and bought plain, white, long sleeved t-shirts off eBay.  (These were actually advertised as boys and are from a major high-street retailer.  I am quite tempted to ask them what makes plain white t-shirts gender specific.)  I then embroidered the girls' names on some spare fabric and appliqued it on the front.  Because of the patterned fabric it doesn't show up that well from a distance but overall I'm happy with it. 


The fabric came from an eBay seller and I used just under 2m for these. It is a Riley Blake print and is really soft and thick.  I have got some leftover but not enough for anything substantial.  I am quite surprised at how much fabric pyjama bottoms need!  


I hope the girls will love their matching personalised pyjamas.  It might even encourage them to go to bed at a reasonable time on Christmas eve!


7 comments:

  1. Aww these are lovely! That fabric looks nice & cosy, and the embroidered names is a lovely touch. I don't old out much hope for you though that it'll get them off to bed any earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either but I'm being optimistic! I'll make sure I work it so that it's the grandparents' turn on night duty!!

      Delete
  2. Such sweet pjs. I like the idea of adapting rtw tee shirts. I too wonder why those tees are gender specific. Good luck with getting them to sleep Christmas eve . I have problems stopping mine waking at crack of dawn on Christmas day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year the Husband and I woke her up at 8am when we got bored of waiting for her - I don't think we'll have that problem this year!

      Delete
    2. Oh, how I wish mine would sleep in! You won my tiny giveaway! Can you email me contact details? minnadoshouse@gmail.com :)

      Delete
  3. So sweet. I love the embroidered names on the front x

    ReplyDelete